The Responsible Coaching Movement (RCM) is a call to action for sport organizations, parents, and coaches to enact responsible coaching across Canada – on and off the field.
The RCM is a multi-phase movement that affects all sport organizations and coaches across Canada. It stems from extensive and ongoing consultation with the sport community in Canada that showed us some of the systemic issues in sport, the role various parties play, and strategies for addressing these issues.
The Coaching Association of Canada and the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport support the Canadian sporting community in improving practices that ensure the health, safety and well-being of all participants.
Keeping Sport Fair, Fun, and Safe
Responsible coaching allows you to support your participants’ right to a safe, positive environment. Here are some ways to protect your athletes and yourself both on and off the field of play:
- Ensure your organization has taken the RCM Pledge.
- Support your organization having key policies, like a Travel Policy and a Code of Conduct, and see that these are current and enforced.
- Ensure that all coaches and volunteers are appropriately screened.
- Encourage coaches and volunteers to take the Commit To Kids, Respect in Sport, and NCCP Make Ethical Decisions training.
- Ask yourself, ‘What are some ways that I, as a coach, can support the Rule of Two?’
Take Three Steps to Responsible Coaching
The Three Steps to Responsible Coaching help participants and coaches benefit fully from sport participation in a safe, healthy, and fun environment. This methodology is a call to action for coaches and sports organizations to learn and apply consistent best practices in coaching.
See the following links to the Responsible Coaching Movement as well as the Safe Sport Summit report from the national summit.
National Safe Sport Summit – Report – Jurisdiction Summary (EN)
National Sport Organization Safe Sport Working Group presents consensus statements on pan-Canadian Safe Sport on the prevention of abuse and harassment – Click here to learn more
Responsible Coaching Resources
To help you on your RCM journey, we’ve developed a detailed implementation toolkit that includes resources, templates and useful links. We update it regularly with new information and tools.