Competition-Introduction Multi-Sport Modules – This context is designed for Coaches of athletes moving from the FUNdamentals to the Learn to Train and Train to Train stages of Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD).
The context consists of five modules: Make Ethical Decision, Planning a Practice, Design a Basic Sport Program, Teaching and Learning, and Basic Mental Skills.
Many of these have been integrated by sports into their own Sport-Specific workshops while other sports require their Coaches to take them separately through our network. All of these Multi-Sport modules can help you reach higher as a Coach, and can also be counted towards maintenance of certification.
We are excited that Coach NB has received a grant through the Go NB Grant Program for 2021 . The Go NB Grant will allow Coach NB to reduce the rate for the multi-sport modules by 60%. The Sport & Recreation Branch from the Dept of Tourism, Heritage, and culture is committed to providing funding in support of our NB coaches. Please note this is only available for NB resident Coaches. We will accept registrations from coaches from other provinces, however we can not offer the discounted rate.
We’re trying to find new ways to support our NB coaches and reduce any barriers that keep coaches from being the best they can be!
NB Resident; please click the NB Resident option for registration payment via the Locker.
NCCP Make Ethical Decisions (MED)
By successfully completing the NCCP Make Ethical Decisions training, coaches will be fully equipped to handle ethical situations with confidence and surety. The training helps coaches identify the legal, ethical, and moral implications of difficult situations that present themselves in the world of team and individual sport.
The NCCP Make Ethical Decisions module is a cornerstone of the NCCP and leaves coaches with no doubt as to what to do in challenging situations.
The module equips coaches to handle challenging ethical situations with confidence and surety. It helps coaches identify the legal, ethical, and moral implications of difficult situations that present themselves in team and individual sports.
After completing the NCCP Make Ethical Decisions module, you will be able to:
- analyze a challenging situation to determine its moral, legal, or ethical implications; and
- apply the NCCP Ethical Decision-Making Model to properly respond to situations in a way that is consistent with the NCCP Code of Ethics.
After you have taken the module, you can access the NCCP Make Ethical Decisions online evaluation free through the Locker. Successful completion of the evaluation is necessary for coach certification in any NCCP program.
NCCP Planning a Practice
The NCCP Planning a Practice module consists of two components:
- a free NCCP Emergency Action Plan eLearning activity
- a five-hour in-class/online delivered module.
Coaches must complete both components to receive full credit for having taken the NCCP Planning a Practice Module.
The goal of the module is to prepare coaches to plan safe and effective practices.
The NCCP Planning a Practice learning activities will prepare coaches to:
- explain the importance of logistics in the development of a practice plan;
- establish an appropriate structure for a practice; and
- identify appropriate activities for each part of the practice.
After completing the NCCP Emergency Action Plan eLearning activity, coaches will be able to:
- describe the importance of having an Emergency Action Plan (EAP);
- identify when to activate the EAP;
- explain the responsibilities of the charge person and call person when the EAP is activated; and
- create a detailed EAP that includes all required information for responding to an emergency.
Visit the Locker to complete the free NCCP Emergency Action Plan eLearning activity.
NCCP Design a Basic Sport Program
After completing the NCCP Design a Basic Sport Program module, you will be able to:
• develop a program structure based on opportunities for training and competition;
• establish indicators of athlete development in the program; and
• develop practice plans that reflect seasonal training priorities.
NCCP Teaching and Learning
Target: Instruction, Community & Competition Coaches
Upon completing the Teaching and Learning module, you will be able to: Assess your own beliefs regarding effective training; analyze certain coaching situations to determine if they promote learning; create conditions that promote learning and self-esteem through appropriate consideration of the affective, cognitive, and motor dimensions of learning; use words and methods that relate to an athlete’s preferred learning style; formulate feedback offered at the right and with the right frequency; use teaching assessment grids to gather objective information on teaching effectiveness; and use this data to develop and action plan to enhance your own effectiveness as a teacher and Coach.
NCCP Basic Mental Skills
The goal of the NCCP Basic Mental Skills module is to support coaches in developing mental skills in their day-to-day practice as a coach.
*Note: There are similarities between this module and the NCCP Psychology of Performance module. While this module provides an overview to mental skill development and application, the NCCP Psychology of Performance module covers the knowledge of mental skill development at a deeper level and provides more opportunities for coaches to practise. Both modules follow a similar structure, yet they cover different depths of applying the development of mental skills.
- Integrate mental-preparation strategies into practices
- Help participants be mentally prepared for competition